Thursday 11 July 2013

New Friends

On each of the Caminos I have walked I have made new friends.

 This year has been no different.

Sometimes the friends have popped in and out of my life in a day, but more often than not they pop in and stay, whether physically or just in my mind and/or heart. Occasionally I have met people along the way that befriended us to get us out of a jam - this happened when we needed water both on the Portuguese Camino, and again this year on the Ingles -Rosa refilled our water bottles when we were in need and wished us well.



This year we spent met and shared accommodation and much of the way with two delightful Italian women - Gabriella and Paola. As always language was no barrier, as we mixed English with Spanish and Italian. 


This year other friends included Tatania, whom we met in Charlie's bar- strangely I recognised her gentle Melbourne accent as it sounded so like a dear friend (Andrea). Like Andrea Tatania had a strong energy that I was drawn to. We didn't make any plans to meet again, but did so the next day, and who knows perhaps our paths will cross again sometime - I'd like to think so. 

Walking to Finisterre Jane and I met Birch, and saw him several times afterwards too. It was him that led me to a special site in Finisterre by his suggestion I might find it interesting.

IN Santiago we met Matt from L.A. who had no real plans until we suggested he stay in Europe, study TEFL and teach English -When we last saw hi that was just his plan. 

Also in Santiago we met Mike from California. We didn't get chance to talk to him much, but he too left an impression with me. 

But I guess I have to say my best friend from all the Caminos just has to be Janey. We have walked four together now, and loved almost every minute together. Thanks Janey ... Just wondering are you up for another?



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Mark and you know i feel the same x.You can stop wondering cause the answer is a big fat YES !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we just have to think about where to go now? Still there's no hurry, and I' sure I'll get a message sooner or later...

      Delete