Wednesday 17 July 2013

A very good place to start - Oviedo

Last year I walked the Camino Primitivo. 

Flying from home in Barcelona I left temperatures in the mid twenties to a chilly, foggy and wet Asturias at around 11º. This  was my introduction to Oviedo -cold and wet! 



For the night I had booked into a nice hotel in the centre, and happily after I'd checked in and came out to explore a while the weather had improved somewhat.



It is a beautiful city, with plenty to see before setting out on the Camino. Particularly the Cathedral of San Salvador, where I got my first stamp of the walk.


There are several statues around the city which are very lifelike. Including: the statue of la Regenta, and on the right market sellers.


And of course being Asturias I had to try the Cider. This being the first of many along the Way.
Only having the afternoon and evening (which turned back to rain) to look around I didn't see as much of the city as I would have liked. 

The following morning I set out in the dark from the Cathedral. According to the guides finding your way out of the city on the Camino was a difficult task. This wasn't so for me. There were plenty of markers, and it wasn't until I got into the surrounding countryside that I had any (but only small) difficulty in finding where to go, due to a new estate being built.


 And the only slightly confusing thing was the shell signs being the opposite way round to elsewhere on the Camino!

I am currently trying to set my journal, blog, memories and photos into some kind of order as I write my second book about my Camino Experiences... Watch this space for more info...

No comments:

Post a Comment