Tuesday 2 July 2013

Journey's End...

Sitting at home now trying to make sense of another incredible journey.  It'll take a while to assimilate all the memories and thoughts that I had along the way, and perhaps at the end of it there'll be another Camino 'Magic' book. For this year however I am working on a book about my walk last year along the Camino Primitivo.

The Camino Ingles was not as difficult for me as the Primitivo, but it did have some challenges. Food being one of the main challenges this time.- there seemed to be so little vegetarian food available anywhere, and so little awareness of what vegetarianism truly is - It's in the word guys 'VEG' ... no meat no fish!!! The Camino Finisterre too was not as much hard work as the Primitivo, although the long day was tiring and left us with throbbing feet at the end of the it, which soon felt better after a short rest.

The scenery on the Finisterre was perhaps the most beautiful I have encountered so far, with surprises popping up over horizon and round corners.

Neither route was very 'populated' with pilgrims, which (for me) was nice, and we did meet some wonderful people and made new friends. 

The albergues were as varied as always seems to be the case, from the most basic with just beds and showers to the well equipped and comfortable.  

Yes ... I still have plenty to think about ... and perhaps the one thought that's at the fore of my mind at the moment is ... what next? ... or was that it. Walking to Finisterre I wondered if perhaps I was reaching the end of my walking journey... my fifth and last Camino journey (I have a thing for Fives). I guess I'll know in the fullness of time. Will the Camino call and pull me back... Vamos a ver (as we say round here).

5 comments:

  1. Portuguese... hmmm... Ultreia Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beautiful walk - If you start in Porto you can choose to walk up the coast first which is really wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your successful journey. Maybe you will do the Camino again, maybe not. I would like the quieter route, less populated. I hiked the Camino Frances in April/May and that was a good time without the crowds, but still was quite busy even at that time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard. I too prefer the quieter routes. The Camino Frances is wonderful but the rush to get a bed for the night takes away some of the magic. The Primitivo and the Ingles were much less populated and Gave me time to think and enjoy the days.

      Delete
  3. I think you should distinguish it as the Camino de Santiago. There are many Camino's in this world.

    ReplyDelete