Sunday 26 May 2013

Camino Boozing

Of course it's really important to stay hydrated whilst walking and losing liquid naturally along the way. Mostly this is done by drinking loads of water. Whilst walking I find that I can drink between four and five litres of water. Now I can't carry all this on my back so filling up along the way is important, and luckily there are 'fuentes' all over the Camino to do this. 


Of course there are other beverages to tempt pilgrims along the way, and one of the favourites between my walking chums has always been the refreshing 'Clara' - a beer with fizzy lemon (rather than lemonade) mixed in it. 


And of course most pilgrims enjoy a tipple of the delicious Spanish wines you can find along the way. On the Camino Frances there is even a wine fountain free to pilgrims. 


From time to time a hot drink is on the menu too. Whether it be a hot coffee for breakfast, usually after a ten kilometre walk, in my experience, or a delicious hot chocolate at the end of a ling day's walking. 


 .. and of course the ultimate hot drink -a quemada- warming a slightly alcoholic, although most of it is burnt off! 

Now, have I forgotten anything? Ah yes, I mustn't forget the drink of the Asturias region - cider- delicious and locally made.


No comments:

Post a Comment