Saturday 25 May 2013

Feet

On each of the Caminos I have done so far (Frances 2010, Portuguese 2011 and Primitivo 2012) I have been very lucky with my feet.

Before setting off the first time for the Camino Frances one of my worries was whether my feet would stay the course. Primarily because I have a condition which means the nerves in my feet don't work well and send the wrong signals back to my brain. Luckily, although they were painful from time to time there was only one day when my right foot, especially was so painful that I thought we would have to give up the chase. 

Most people worry about getting blisters, and then invariably get them. I told my feet before leaving that on no account would I stand them getting a blister. this positive thinking in general has stood me in good stead. On the Camino Frances I had just a small blister during the first few days, and after that suffered no more. Some of the people we met along the way suffered horrendously from huge sole-covering blisters. 

Before leaving we took advice on what to do should a dreaded blister take up home on your feet. The best course of treatment appeared to be to run  it through with a needle and thread, leaving the thread hanging out of it to drain it. This is exactly the treatment my small blister was given by one of the Famous Camino Five -Nurse Sussi Astrom (who incidentally isn't a nurse) took to the task like a duck to water and dressed all our troublesome blisters when we were in Najera. 

Sussi dresses my one and only blister

By the end of a day's walk of course my feet were tired , and often swollen, but with a bit of TLC- cool water, showering and good rest they soon recovered. Being  a Reiki master i also showered myself in Reiki energy, and when needed offered it to others and their tired tootsies. 

 Jane and I, resting our toes in Molinaseca. 


Some of the rest of our group suffered more with their feet. Jane had a couple of blisters, as did Laila. I don't remember Kees complaining of sore feet at all, but he had walked from Amsterdam and hardened up by the time we joined forces. Sussi, however, did suffer quite badly, both from blistered feet and troublesome knees.

So, tell me if you've already been out on  the camino how did your feet cope along the Way, and what tips can you offer. IF you haven't yet ventured out but have a question or suggestion leave us a comment and I will get back to you. 

Buen camino

No comments:

Post a Comment