Monday 27 May 2013

Camino Food -ONE -Breakfast

At home I take breakfast almost as soon as I leap out of bed. This has never been so for me on the Caminos.

Firstly being up at such an early hour my stomach is just not ready for anything when I get up and ready myself for a day on the Way. A few mouthfuls of water have normally been more than sufficient. I have never liked hot drinks in the morning anyway so this really is not a problem. 

However after a couple of hours walking and usually about ten kilometres into the day's walk I and my walking companions are  usually ready for a bite to eat. It is then a bit of a mad panic to find somewhere to get said bite to eat. Often we would drop into a wayside cafe at the next village or hamlet, or at least sit outside and have a coffee and a small bocadillo. 


Or in Sussi's case a huge bocadillo (admittedly she did share a little of this with a wayside dog)



 Sometimes croissants adn toast were available and gobbled down quickly....


 Occasionally a feast has been laid on for us. This one we enjoyed after a long walk to Boadilla de la Camino, and all for just a couple of euros each. 


And in some of the Albergues breakfast is a communal affair and an enjoyable one with a selection of goodies to munch down before setting off, invariably this is served later than we normally used to set off, but at times we stayed and enjoyed the food whilst at the same time saying 'au revouir' to our 'overnight' friends. Occasionally if this was the case Janey and I would break out the jar of Marmite that we carried for such occasions, often getting inquisitive looks or questions from others

More often than not though, as I said before, breakfast would be on the Way at a generic wayside cafe, all very similar as these three last pictures show. The first was taken on the Camino Frances, the second on the Camino Portuguese and the last on the Camino Primitivo. 

Breakfast on the Camino Frances - 
Croissants for both of us, Janey has her morning coffee fix and I choose the orange juice

Breakfast on the Camino Portuguese
Coffees for Janey and Sussi, while I stick with my water bottle

Breakfast on the Camino Primitivo
A coffee and a small cheese bocadillo (half was wrapped and had later for lunch)



No comments:

Post a Comment