Tuesday 4 June 2013

A veggie on the Camino Frances

Setting out on the Camino Frances in 2010 I had no idea what kind of food I was going to find to eat being vegetarian. Spain doesn't have a great reputation for its veggie dishes. I've lived here over nine years now and still things aren't great.

I'd read about the pilgrim menus and had high hopes that they would include something veggie for me, and indeed on the whole they did. When the pilgrim menu was our evening meal of choice I usually ended up with a salad to start and macaroni in tomato sauce for the main course. A little limited, but usually good enough to fill my tummy and provide sustenance for the next day's walk. 

When we cooked our own meals I was usually the chef in charge of the dinner and of course everyone in our little groups was always happy enough to eat the veggie option, although often adding chorizo or bacon to theirs.

I never understood why many people were careful all along the Way to not tread on any creature and respect the animals then sat down for an evening meal of dead chicken, lamb or cow. The tow didn't really add up for me. 

In Villacazr de Sirga we made a delicious veggie stew with omelette on the side and couscous. At this time there were just four of us, so the quantity was more than enough. We offered what wasn't eaten to some Irish friends who happily took the stew and added chunks of meat.


In Leon Jane and I made delicious wraps for dinner, and to save the washing up simply covered the table in cling film and ate directly from that. (there were only a few plates available anyway!) 


In Hospital de Orbigo the albergue provided a whole load of fruit and veg free for taking

We helped ourselves to apples, but shopped at the supermarket for some frozen veggies cooked basically with a little mayonnaise - often simple is the best! 


In Astorga we cooked up some delicious macaroni with a side salad.  Even though it was about the only thing available to me on the pilgrim menus we still made it ourselves often enough. 

 In Rabanal we had a group meal with everyone else staying at the albergue, cooled by two Italian girls - yes pasta again, but delicious I must add. 

In Mercadoiro the pilgrim menu had a range of veggie dishes on it. I was in heaven, especially after a particularly difficult day. 

And in Portos the albergue owner made us a special omelette with salad which he picked straight from his garden and included chips which we re also hand made from his own potatoes. 

In O'Pedrouizo we found a cafe which served veggie lasagna which was very good. We also found delicious cakes here too. , and more than ample for our shrunken stomachs - I don't think either Jane or I finished the plates. 

Of course all meals tended to be washed down with some of the tastiest red wines along the Way. 

During the Camino I lost over eleven kilogrammes in weight -yes I was quite portly when we set out - and felt so much the better for it. 

2 comments:

  1. I just loved all the food we had Mark , it was (as Romany likes to say ) Delicious!!!and I can't wait fir the grub again this time round .:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too loved the food, despite it being a bit limited, and then when we found the special places it was even better.

      Delete