Monday 3 June 2013

Camino Dogs

Before setting out in 2010 I read quite a few guides and personal stories about the Camino Frances. Almost all of them warned of dogs on the Camino. Well I am here to tell the opposite. Never, whilst walking any of the Caminos over the past four years have I encountered any problems with dogs.

Admittedly there are some that bark a lot, but come on that's their job, and they're usually behind fences and gates where they are protecting the homesteads. But more often than not when approached they were just as soppy as the tow I have at home.
These two were supposedly protecting some calves, but were more interested in us and what we might have for them.



I've met dogs that have wanted to walk a ways with me, and have enjoyed their company.
This little girl was on heat and was drawing the attention of all the other dogs around, but preferred my company  for quite a walk. 

I have met dogs that most definitely wanted to share whatever food was going.




I've even met dogs that guarded the door to the albergue over night! This old boy even wanted to join me in the morning when I set off. 

Some just wanted to say 'Hi' as we passed.



But never ever have I had any that were out to get us, to chase us off, or cause us harm. For the most part they dozed quietly beside the path and watched as we went on our way, wondering why on earth humans were so stupid to be walking when it was so hot. 

For me the dogs on the Camino formed just another part of the wonders of nature that are out there, and many were wonderful company for  a while too. 


I found them all so endearing that last year I even made a calendar for 2013 for friends and family made up of some of these, and the many others we met. 

2 comments:

  1. I love dogs (and cats and sheep and cows and hens...) so on my Camino, I also communed with every one I met. I may have met that same Siberian Husky! Thanks for your post - so mnay pilgrims seem to fear dogs. perhaps your post will help them see that dogs, like strangers, are friendly when we meet them in a friendly, non-threatening way. <3 - Ginn/My 2009

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia, and thanks for popping by and commenting today.
      You're right -as long as we greet the dogs in a friendly way we normally get the same response. So many approach them with their fear like a cloak so that the dog feels the unsafe vibration and feels similar and unsafe.
      As for the Husky he was on the Camino Portuguese - can't quite remember where?
      M
      x

      Delete