Sunday 2 June 2013

Shoes

One of the biggest problems I had before setting out on the Camino in 2010 was deciding 'what shoes to wear?'

I went from forum to forum, blog to blog, and found contradicting advice all over the place. The only thing that they all agreed on was to make sure the footwear was comfortable and well worn in. 

Should I wear boots? That would be almost impossible for me with my peripheral neuropathy. Shoes then? - not sure I had any comfortable ones at the time.

Off to Decathlon I went. This store is one of the only places that sell shoes my size in Spain. With a preference for 48 (12+) it isn't easy when shoe sizes in most shops stop at 45. 

In Decathlon I found a good comfortable and cheap pair of trainers that I thought would do the trick, and guess what they did. They carried me around the Garraf region as I prepared for the Camino and then the 800 or so kilometres along the Way too, all with just one tiny blister and one day of PN pain. 

So for the next two Caminos I bought exactly the same pair each year. Again I have done the same. An excellent and comfortable pair of trainers in 48 for just under fifteen euros- bargain. 

And for the end of the day I've carried the same pair of sandals too. comfy and well worn, and they'll be coming with me again this year! They may not be the most stylish, or fashionable, but they get me from A to B with the least problems.



No comments:

Post a Comment