Thursday 6 June 2013

Of beds (and bugs)

Having just read a post on Facebook about an albergue being closed on the Finisterre route because of an outbreak of bedbugs my mind has been drawn to one of the most important considerations on the Camino- of the beds, bedding and those infernal bed-bugs.

I have sampled quite a few of the albergues on the French Way, the Portuguese Way and the Primitive Way I am so pleased, and relieved, to say I have not once shared my bed with a bug- well not knowingly and have definitely had no bad effects if  I have done so unknowingly.

The beds themselves vary from albergue to albergue. In some places they are metal bunk beds that rattle and squeak with the slightest movement, have supports that roll you to the middle and mattresses that are thinner than most good sleeping bags.

Sometimes the metal ones have good enough mattresses but are so cramped into the spaces that one ends up almost sharing a bed with total strangers



Then there are others that are made solidly from wooden supports with proper support underneath and mattresses that are thick enough to provide even the most insomniacal of pilgrims with a good night's sleep.




Occasionally the dorms are kitted out with single storey beds, this is almost the height of luxury.



No matter how hefty the bunks I always worried when I climbed into the top bunk that I might pull the whole structure over as I hefted my non-slimline form to the top.

Some albergues provide bedding - this is usually a flimsy throw away under-sheet and similar style pillow-case. I have never found that these stay on the mattresses all night as they should and usually end up in piles all over the albergue, despite most places providing bins for their disposal. Some of the better albergues even provide blankets, often large snuggly blankets which are delightful to curl up under after a day on the road.

In the past I have always taken a sleeping blanket, although many nights had no use of it when it was hot, or with a blanket when it wasn't so warm. This year, however, Janey has found some fleecy sleeping bag liners which we will be using instead. This means another reduction in weight and bulk, and hopefully sufficient for a good night.

As for the bedbugs; we have on our travels heard some unsettling tales, and even heard one hospitalero tell a pilgrim who had found bugs in her bed that she should keep quiet and leave before she upset other pilgrims. In general though we have found places to be infestation-free and dusted against the critters. Hopefully this year, fingers crossed, we will again be alone in our beds, but if not apparently the best way to get rid of the bugs is to expose everything to bright sunlight and wash everything in piping hot water.

8 comments:

  1. I appreciate this thorough and thoughtful explanation of the various types of beds a pilgrim will find in albergues along The Way. It will be very useful for those who wonder what sleeping quarters will be like as they plan their pilgrimage. The bedbug potential, however, is very real, and it's not confined to albergues. A pilgrim should fully prepare his/her sleeping bag/sleep sheet and pack before starting the pilgrimage. An effective barrier of protection is possible with a thorough coverage of permethrin spray. Even so, I was bitten when I slept in an upscale pension along the Camino--I didn't use my sleeping bag because the luxurious bedding was irresistible. All the same, bedbugs can be avoided with proper precautions. Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn, for popping by and commenting. For some people the use of the spray may be fine, but it does contain toxins that can interfere with nerve function. I already have nerve problems (neuropathy) so would personally steer clear of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I encountered many bunk beds where the top bunk had no rails at all. This was quite common. In fact, in Roncesvalles, we were all awakened in the early morning hours by a loud noise and discovered a peregrino had fallen from the top bunk and received a gash to his head. Many helped him, he got bandaged up and continued that day with the Camino. It is quite common to see bunk beds on the Camino without rails, which at first I found quite astonishing as it seems a safety hazard to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,
      Thanks for checking in today and commenting.
      Spain is way behind the UK in 'Health and Safety' regulations (which has it's pros and cons). Yes many of the top bunks are not railed in, and many of the structures are alarmingly flimsy. Too many times as I climbed aloft I thought I was going to pull the whole thing over. That's why I had a preference for the solid wooden ones, although at times even they wobbled a bit as I climbed the ladder.

      Delete
  4. I have a bio spray fir is Nark with no toxins in it , you can spray it on you and bedding .Not that we will need it.
    The fleece liners are a bit bigger than I thought but will squidge down better than a sleeping bag .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'fir is Nark'? you're typing is getting as bad as mine! LOL - I've already started my mantras- There will be no bed-bugs, I will not get any blisters... daily, so no we are going to be fine again.
      Fleece liners sounds snuggly, and they have to be lighter than the sleeping bag I've been carrying the last few years. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Well Guys I was very interested in your post about beds and bed bugs. Unfortunately some people seem to attract small critters to be feasted upon but there are some herbal remedies that you can take that will limit the attraction. Garlic tablets and Vitamin B complex helped me. I usually suffer from Mosquito or Bed Bugs biting me but on recommendation I took these each day two weeks before walking and during the walk and thankfully can report not one bite!!!! Unfortunately others around me where badly affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donal,
      I am not sure what keeps the bugs away from us, but so far we have been lucky. Haven't tried any of the herbal remedies, but do eat a load of garlic all the time so maybe that does the trick.
      Thanks for popping by and leaving a comment,
      Mark

      Delete