Friday 14 June 2013

Techno Camino

I have mixed views about taking technology on the Camino. 

I love the peace and quiet and getting away from all the usual stresses of day to day life- and for me this includes getting away from technology to some degree. On the other hand I like to keep in touch with friends back home, and around the world, and let them know where I am and what I've been up to.

On the Camino Frances in 2010 we only had our phones, and not  smart ones at that, so phone calls were the way to keep in touch. 



Whilst walking during the day I turned my phone off, and only connected with the outside world once the day was done. Fortunately many albergues on the Camino Frances have internet connection for just a euro for an hour or half hour, so I updated my blog when this was available. We even popped onto Facebook once in a while too.


On the Camino Portuguese the story was much the same, although Sussi had her i-phone and i-pad with her so when there was wi-fi  we used her connection to the best advantage too.

On the Camino Primitivo very few places had internet connection, but I had planned for this eventuality and bought myself a smart-phone with which to update my blog. I also set up a WhatsApp group to whom even more regular updates were sent when I took breaks during the day.  I also carried a Dictaphone thingy into which I occasionally reported my whereabouts and thoughts - I transcribed this onto my PC when I got home to use as a an additional resource to my journal when I write the story of my adventures.

This year I have a Samsung Galaxy III - it's a little high-tech for me really but will mean blogging along the way will be easier.  So if you haven't become a 'follower' yet, or signed up via e-mail but still want to see what we're up to this time next week click one of the links on the right. 


I'm also going to set up a Camino 2013 Ingles WhatsApp group for regular updates as we take breaks. If you want to get these send me an e-mail ( to tulstig33 AT gmail.com) (por los espanoles es: tulstig33 AROBA gmail.com) with your mobile number and I will add you to the group.You can of course remove yourself from it at any time.

Additionally I'll be uploading photos directly to INSTAGRAM as the fancy takes me. If you want to follow me on there my profile is under Tulstig.


All the above ways of staying in contact are free with internet (wifi or G4) connection, and a great bonus for letting everyone know how well we are doing. So don't be left out join us on our Ingles adventure now!


No comments:

Post a Comment